Thursday, September 6, 2012

Honeysuckle Ice Cream



(Makes about two and a quarter pints)
1 3/4 cups whole milk (I like to use organic because I like the flavor and creaminess better)
1 1/4 cup of heavy (whipping) cream
3 - 4 cups honeysuckle
3/4 cup sugar and one tablespoon extra (or a teaspoon and half a teaspoon of Black Tea Syrup)
Pinch of cinnamon*
Tiny pinch of salt

The first step is to pick honeysuckle.  You'll want 3 to 4 cups.

The recipe for this ice cream was designed to go into my Cuisinart ice cream maker, and so I used a modified version of their standard vanilla recipe.  I don't like to use the vanilla in this because I like the taste of the honeysuckle to shine through.  Normally the recipe calls for 2 cups of cream to one of milk, but I never use these ratios for my ice creams because I find it to be too creamy and sometimes if it gets even slightly over churned it will leave a waxy texture on the palate.  Feel free to go with your own preferences though.

Put these in a fine mesh strainer or in a bowl and rinse under cool or warm water.  If you've followed the guide and avoided bugs, pesticides and poison ivy this should be clean.  You don't want the water too hot, or it will draw more of the flavor out and we want all that to go into the cream.

You may want to reserve a few of the flowers for garnish.   Put the rest of the honeysuckle in a large, clean bowl and pour the cream over it.  A pinch or two of sugar sprinkled over should help draw out the flavor, much like with strawberry.  Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until infused.  I like to leave it overnight for the best results. Stir it several times and don't worry about being too rough with the flowers, you can stir it thoroughly.

The next day you will use the strainer to remove the honeysuckle flowers from the cream.

Combine the Honeysuckle cream, 3/4 cup sugar and the extra tablespoon (or a teaspoon and a half a teaspoon of Black Tea Syrup), a pinch of cinnamon and tiny pinch of salt (more like half a pinch).  Mix and either return to fridge to continue chilling or put directly into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.

If you don't have an ice cream maker but still want to enjoy making home made ice cream there are several websites you can find through Google that have various methods and I encourage you to look into them.  I know that Jules Clancy also offers classes and advice, check out her blog StoneSoup.

For Honeysuckle whipped cream simply let the honeysuckle infuse into the heavy cream (about 1.5 cups to 1 cup cream), then once infused whip cream as you would normally.

*The idea to include cinnamon was taken from NPR's recipe for honeysuckle sorbet.  I like to make mine as ice cream, but when I first looked up the concept to see if anyone else had the idea I couldn't find much.  The only good thing was NPR's reproduction of someone's sorbet recipe and I find the dash of cinnamon really does help bring out the flavor of the honeysuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment